How does The Geodesic Theorem™ apply to Executive Coaching?
• As we have seen in the previous section, according to the Geodesic Theorem™, if one side of the triangle fails, the entire structure is weakened. For example, if an individual is dysfunctional or not participating at capacity, then the team and the enterprise will also be affected.
The Power of Three manifests itself in triads such as:
- I – you – us
- Individual – team – enterprise and
- Agility – collaboration – innovation.
- Taking responsibility for the consequences of behavior translates into another triad:
- more finely tuned interpersonal skills
- increased leadership capacity, and
- interdependence of individual – team – enterprise.
Geodesic Executive Coaching™:
This innovative form of Executive Coaching offers unique and individualized one-on-one coaching for top-level executives and technical personnel. Our approach draws upon the Geodesic concept of triangular networking, connectivity, and harnesses the Power of Three.
Our Executive Coaching addresses interpersonal issues of importance to the CIO, develops practical approaches to Leadership Development, and resolves communication problems.
With many years of effective coaching experience, Dr. Gardner handles each Executive Coaching assignment in a careful, thorough, and strictly confidential manner.
There are two programs for Customized Executive Coaching:
Behavioral Turn-around Coaching for Difficult People
Leadership Coaching for High-Potentials
♦ BEHAVIORAL TURN-AROUND COACHING FOR DIFFICULT PEOPLE
– i.e., “Elephants in the Room,” and B2B Mediation (internal & external)
“The people Meredith Gardner works with are often highly creative, sometimes even brilliant. And annoying. Difficult to work with. Lacking in interpersonal skills. Difficult to supervise and hell on their subordinates….What makes Meredith Gardner unusual is that she works with these people…to help them become less obnoxious, irritating or just insensitive.”9
Dysfunctional and Difficult people – Some are downright brilliant; others are repositories of important corporate history. Many times it would take two-and-a-half people to replace the difficult person. Other times they can’t be fired because of their power, knowledge, gender, diversity, etc. Nevertheless, they’re usually extremely bright and usually misunderstood.
In fact, most difficult people don’t realize they’re being difficult, especially those who are in the habit of “…making impossible demands, expecting perfection, growling and barking at everyone and unable to get along with anyone…”10
– Dr. Meredith Gardner
Q & A: BEHAVIORAL TURN-AROUND COACHING FOR DIFFICULT PEOPLE
- WHAT IS BEHAVIORAL TURN-AROUND COACHING FOR DIFFICULT PEOPLE?
- It’s a behavioral modification process that corporations and professional firms use to retain their investment in talented individuals.
- WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU AND YOUR IT DEPARTMENT?
- You will spend less time feeling frantic, frustrated and furious.
- You will stop being consumed by turmoil and worry.
- You will improve morale, increase productivity, and finally get a life!
- WHAT ARE SOME TROUBLESOME PERSONALITY TRAITS OF DIFFICULT PEOPLE?
- Controlling behavior (“My way or the highway” mentality)
- Abrasive, abusive and “in your face” behavior
- Racial, gender-based, sexual innuendo or harassment
- Inappropriate crying
- Rambling and ranting
- Poor listening and interrupting
- Arrogance and/or aloofness
- HOW CAN YOU TELL WHO’S AT RISK FOR DERAILING THEMSELVES, YOUR TEAM AND YOUR FIRM?
- Avoids issues. Unwilling to face conflict.
- Intimidates others. Barks orders.
- Micro-manages due to lack of trust.
- Over-books self and doesn’t follow up.
- Exhibits self-aggrandizing behavior.
- Has trouble adapting to those with different style.
- Not open to receiving feedback.
WHAT ARE SOME RESULTS OF OUR BEHAVIORAL TURN-AROUND COACHING?
- The misunderstood executive develops greater self-awareness, and difficulties dissolve as the person discovers new ways of communicating.
- Participants take responsibility for the consequences of their behavior.
- More effective collaboration occurs as behavior shifts dramatically.
- WHAT BEHAVIORAL EVIDENCE DEMONSTRATES THAT OUR TURN-AROUND COACHING WORKS?
- Improved tolerance for and understanding of different ways of behaving
- Heightened personal responsibility and choice over responses
- Recognition of parity – Getting what you want while giving others what they need
- New insight into intentions and external behavior
- Greater ability to create more harmony and reach common goals
- WHAT ARE THE BEST REASONS FOR YOUR FIRM TO RETAIN DR. MEREDITH GARDNER?
- As the CIO, you deserve a high-functioning technical team that is 100% on board, from the top level all the way down the line.
- It works! We have years of successful experience in Behavioral Turn-around Coaching for Difficult People.
- Substantial and dramatic improvement is reported both during the coaching process and after the customized program is finished.
Without your help, I would have been forced to move our senior executive from the project. Your knowledge and breadth of experience made it possible for him to make a difference with our top customer.
D. M., Senior Practice Director, Oracle Corporation13
♦ LEADERSHIP COACHING FOR HIGH-POTENTIALS
Enhancement programs are designed for people who have high-functioning leadership ability and need to improve their already evident capabilities.
“I only work with geniuses… They are people who are remarkably perceptive about everything but their own personalities.”
—Dr. Meredith Gardner15
Leadership Coaching for High-Potentials is important because they are the ones who become our Future Leaders.
- “The most effective leaders are great communicators who adapt their communication style in order to influence others…”
- “To help young leaders, help them discover…their blind spots. These blind spots have to do with what we don’t know about ourselves…”
- “The ultimate catalyst in character development is by acknowledging the existence of blind spots or the dark-side. The most important element in dealing with this is being open to feedback…Giving constructive feedback is never easy; however it is very important to the nurturing of the future leader…”
—Dr. Meredith Gardner16
Q & A: LEADERSHIP COACHING FOR HIGH-POTENTIALS
- WHAT COMPETENCIES SHOULD A HIGH-POTENTIAL DEMONSTRATE TO QUALIFY FOR LEADERSHIP COACHING?
- "Promotability”—significant leadership potential
- Readiness for Next Role
- Excellent Performance Reviews
- Ambition—committed career interest in a leadership role
- Avid Curiosity for continual learning, self-development in jobs/roles
- Demonstrated Value through proven contributions
- Diversity—generates new and different thinking, challenges status-quo, etc.
- Credibility and Integrity—create trust and respect
- WHICH SKILLS DO YOU WANT ENHANCED?
- People Skills—interacting effectively with people, in addition to technical savvy
- Communication Skills—expressing the message effectively
- Inventive Skills—coming up with needed ideas
- Judgment Skills—making the right decisions
- Behavioral Skills—operating from higher level of awareness
- Integration Skills—combining tactics and strategies
- Motivational Skills—inspiring others to achieve goals
- Political Skills—knowing how to network to get things done
- WHAT LEADERSHIP OUTCOMES CAN YOU EXPECT FROM HIGH-POTENTIAL COACHING?
- Understand that values drive behavior
- Accept responsibility for consequences of behavior
- Increase focus, confidence and decisiveness
- Further develop listening skills which increase productivity
- Strengthen interpersonal communication and take calculated risks
- Distinguish between perception and reality
- Develop a visionary outlook
- WHICH PROCESSES ARE INVOLVED IN LEADERSHIP COACHING?
- Interview-based 360° Feedback
- Personality Style and Performance Assessment
- Collaborative Analysis, Tactics and Strategies
- Mediation when required
- Continuous Feedback Loop
- Final Follow-up and Closure with people involved in the process
- HOW IS FOLLOW-UP HANDLED?
- Our approach is so effective that feedback is noticeably more positive as the coaching progresses, and little if no follow-up is necessary.